Senate finally approves the Controversial Prevention of Electronics Crime Bill 2015. The bill has been already approved by National assembly in april, 2016. Only the bill was seeking apporoval of senate before it can be presented to the president for its approval.
The Senate Standing Committee on Information Technology and Telecommunications met under the chair of Senator Shahi Syed at Parliament House and discussed the features of the bill.
The bill states as follow:
- Up to seven years imprisonment, Rs10 million fine or both for hate speech, or trying to create disputes and spread hatred on the basis of religion or sectarianism
- Up to three years imprisonment and Rs0.5 million fine or both for cheating others through internet
- Up to five year imprisonment, Rs5 million fine or both for transferring or copying of sensitive basic information
- Up to seven years imprisonment and Rs0.5 million fine or both for uploading obscene photos of children
- Up to Rs50 thousand fine for sending messages irritating to others or for marketing purposes. If the crime is repeated, the punishment would be three months imprisonment and a fine of up to Rs1 million
- Up to three year imprisonment and a fine of up to Rs0.5 million for creating a website for negative purposes
- Up to one year imprisonment or a fine of up to Rs1 million for forcing an individual for immoral activity, or publishing an individual’s picture without consent, sending obscene messages or unnecessary cyber interference
- Up to seven year imprisonment, a fine of Rs10 million or both for interfering in sensitive data information systems
- Three month imprisonment or a Rs50 thousand fine or both for accessing unauthorised data
- Three year imprisonment and a fine of up to Rs5 million for obtaining information about an individual’s identification, selling the information or retaining it with self
- Up to three year imprisonment and a fine of up to Rs0.5 million for issuing a SIM card in an unauthorised manner
- Up to three year imprisonment and fine of up to Rs1 million rupees for making changes in a wireless set or a cell phone
- Up to three year imprisonment and a fine of up to Rs1 million for spreading misinformation about an individual
- Up to three years imprisonment and fine of up to Rs1 million for misusing internet
the bill claims upto 14 years of imprisonment and fines upto Rs. 50 millions. Speacial court will be established to deal with cyber crimes and help for others counteries can be asked for the investigation of any unsolved case.