Uber, the leading global smartphone app seamlessly connecting riders to drivers in Pakistan’s seven cities, held a Driver Safety Workshop in collaboration with various law enforcement agencies.
During the session, the Uber team and representatives from law enforcement presented safety tips for those behind the wheel, but also educated drivers about traffic laws in the city. Drivers also had the opportunity to ask questions and get their concerns answered by various spokespeople, which helped to ensure the session was both collaborative and insightful.
A very impactful presentation from Police focused on the importance of Safety on the roads, and how each and every member of the society can contribute towards the better future. The Police presentation demonstrated to drivers the latest local traffic laws and the steps and tips they need to take to ensure their rides are as safe as possible.
Speaking about the workshop, IG Islamabad Dr. Sultan Azam Temuri said, “It is a great initiative by Uber to hold these sessions as it is important to know the traffic laws and how to be safe on the road and avoid accidents and mishaps. Uber’s effort to educate and create awareness about this is highly appreciated.”
SSP Islamabad Traffic Police Malik Matloob, added, “Following road safety procedures is of paramount importance for any driver and this is what we tried to communicate in today’s workshop. We support Uber’s safety initiatives and will look to partner further on such avenues in promoting the message.”
Aemad Mehdi, Head of Operations – Uber Pakistan, said on the occasion, “Safety remains a priority for Uber, we are continuously looking for ways to improve it. Based on the feedback and information from our drivers, law enforcement department and subject matter experts, we developed the tips, which we shared with the drivers. We are committed to ensuring Uber is the safest way to get around a city for our drivers and riders, both.”
The safety tips presented to drivers included:
- Stay Focused on Driving: Drivers were asked to always help keep roads safe by staying alert, keeping eyes on the road, and avoiding texting while driving. Uber recommends using a mount to position the phone in a place, where it can be easily seen to help reduce dangerous distractions. It’s also important to take breaks for rest when needed to prevent drowsy driving.
- Drive Responsibly: Drivers are encouraged to abide by speed limits and drive responsibly caring for riders, and all those on the road.
- Keep Drop-Offs Legal: Drop off passengers in safe and legal locations, like passenger loading zones or where there is enough space to pull over and avoid blocking bike lanes. It’s also important to know local laws.
- Do not drop off riders in the middle of road or highways
- Malls: Always drop off passengers in designated drop-off and pick-up points
- Spread the Word to Buckle Up: Always buckle up and ask riders to do the same.
- Take the High Road: Uber’s https://www.uber.com/legal/community-guidelines/pk-ur/ call for both riders and drivers to always treat each other with respect. Incase drivers encounter a difficult rider, their actions can help manage the situation Uber suggests keeping calm, avoid controversial topics of conversation, and respect people’s differences. Drivers are also taught to end the ride at any time if they feel uncomfortable or unsafe. And in an emergency situation, Drivers are taught to call 15 first. Then, when it is safe, report the incident to Uber.
- Watch for Pedestrians and Bikers: Drivers are taught to be on the lookout for people who are walking and biking. This is especially important when pulling over for a drop-off or pick-up, or driving at night. Experts report that 74 percent of pedestrian fatalities occurred in the dark.
- Share your location: A driver can share his/her location with a loved one or a friend while being on a ride so that they can keep a track of their location.
- Know about the surrounding police stations drivers were advised to know about their surrounding police stations in their respective cities, they were also updated on the available app for registering complaints
- Anti-Harassment: Drivers were educated regarding harassment and laws surrounding the harassment act in the country
- Give Feedback: Feedback helps improve the Uber experience and promote a safe environment. Uber encourages drivers to rate the rider after a trip and add comments via the “Help” button in the app. Unruly riders should be reported as soon as possible. 24/7 Uber’s global support team will review the feedback and take appropriate action, which can include removing a rider’s access to Uber.
Uber plans to hold more of such workshops in the future to seek to build a rapport between the drivers and police, creating a relationship that will benefit the community as a whole.