So the new tax system for phones coming in from abroad has been in effect since the start of the month of January and now the government of Pakistan has come up with a new plan to aid the international passengers coming in from abroad, who plan to bring in more than one smartphone along with them. People will no longer have to stand in lines to get their mobile phones registered nor at the airport or the customs office.
Furthermore, Phone owners will now be able to register their devices in just a few taps on the screen of their mobile phone. According to some documents currently with folks at NetMag, the Ministry of the Information and Technology and the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority and the members of the Customs have informed the Senate Standing Committee on IT and Telecom that the government is in the works of launching a dedicated online portal for this task.
Moreover, Passengers will now be able to bring phones in to their homes without having to deal with the Customs Dept or the Airport Officials and will be able to get their phones registered online, within fifteen days of their Arrival.
How to get your phone registered
- International travelers will need to sign in to DIRBS.gov.pk and submit a request for registration.
- It will ask for an IMEI number for verification.
- The system will make sure the provided IMEI number is unique, not cloned or reported stolen in its database.
- Upon confirmation, the system will whitelist the unique IMEI number, and it will register it against your name.
How to pay the customs duty Online
- PTA and Ministry of IT informed the Senate Committee that the international passengers will also be able pay the Customs duty/tax through the web portal which will accept payments from all popular banks, ATMs or mobile wallets.
- For payments, individuals will have to enter their CNIC, Passport no, and IMEI(s) and mobile specifications.
- Upon verification, the system will generate a Payment Slip Identity (PSID) code along with duties and taxes.
- Individuals will then pay the taxes via banks, mobile wallets or other payment sources.
Government of Pakistan set to launch an Online Portal for the Registration and Tax Payment of Phones
Now according to the officials present at the PTA, the online portal system will be functional and ready for testing on January 25th